Ask The Doctor > Pending > Pregnante with Alpha Thalassemia and food intolerances

Pregnante with Alpha Thalassemia and food intolerances

Patient: I currently live in France which makes it difficult to get detailed answers to my questions, I’m 6 weeks today and have lactose and fructose intolerance and also alpha thalassemia, i’m currently only taking Elevit which contains lactose, however i figured it will be fine and the amount is quite low. Before becoming pregnant I read that it was recommended to take folic acid for myself due to the fructose intolerance, which I have been, also due to the Alpha Thalassemia I understand that my body can’t absorb iron. Can you recommend which types of vitamins I should be taking, is Elevit enough or should I be taking extra folic acid, or iron tablets.Many thanks,

Doctor: