Severe Pain Left Flank and Lower Back

Patient

Q: Dull ache on my lower left side..when i get up a pain hits me and i get blurred vision. i am in severe pain in my back. can u please help. it takes my breath away!

Doctor

A:   Over the area that you described the pain is located there are various structures that may produce a pain with those features: kidney, muscles, radiated pain from a intercostal nerve inflammation. It would be important to determine how long have you been experiencing the pain and if you had a similar episode in the past, also if your urination is altered in any way. If every time that you inhale (breath in) the pain shows up, that might be an intercostals neuritis, which is a nerve inflammation, that causes an acute stabbing pain in the affected side. If the pain is more in your lower back, may be important determine if you had history of lifting heavy objects or any other straining activity that affects your low back. If you have had this pain for 1 month or more, it is strongly recommended that you get an evaluation by a physician. If this is not the case, you can follow these general recommendations: sleeping with a pillow between the knees while lying on one side may increase comfort. Some doctors recommend lying on your back with a pillow under your knees, take anti-inflammatory medications (“Aleve”, “motrin”), you can try spinal manipulation: Osteopathic or chiropractic manipulation appears to be beneficial in people during the first month of symptoms, Physical therapy. But definitely, if the pain after try all that does not goes away you should be evaluated by a physician.