Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Tender Hard bony non moveable lump on clavicle

Tender Hard bony non moveable lump on clavicle

Patient: I am a 26 year old female. I stared having an aching dull pain in my shoulder and neck on the right side about a week ago. I thought that I just strained a muscle while working out but then, while feeling around on my neck noticed a hard tender lump on my clavicle near my sternum. The lump is not moveable, and I have no pain with mobility, just a constant ache and a tender bony lump directly on my clavicle. Any ideas on what this might be would be very helpful, thank you

Symptoms: Dull ache in shoulder/ neck on right side and hard bony tender lump on clavicle near sternum

Doctor:

Patient: I just got back from my pcp and they have no clue what this lump might be. I will be getting an x ray, an ultrasound and blood work done in a couple of days. Any ideas on what I can suggest to the doctor on what this might be would be much appreciated. Thank you

Patient: The x ray was normal and so is my blood work. However, the ultrasound shows a solid mass. I am told that the orthopedic surgeon may order a ct scan. The shoulder ache has resolved (maybe I really did strain my shoulder exercising) and the tenderness on the supraclavicular nodule is pretty much gone. Should I continue pursuing a diagnosis since all symptoms except fatigue are diminishing? I believe infection has been ruled out, there have been no recent illnesses and as I stated my blood work was normal. Should I be pushing for a biopsy or am I wasting time and money on something that is more than likely going to resolve on its own? Thank you for your time.