Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Three days in sneezing ; running nose started. It is worse when I am lying down.

Three days in sneezing ; running nose started. It is worse when I am lying down.

Patient: I’ve been having vertigo for 11 days now. Three days in sneezing & running nose started. It is worse when I am lying down. I have to teach on Monday, which includes driving 30 minutes over a mountain pass. Should I make a doctor’s appointment tomorrow, or try some over the counter medication – and if so, which medication

Symptoms: Spinning, especially when lying down. Runny nose and sneezing.

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.You have been having persistent verti go for the past 11 days and you have been having spinning sensation. On top of that you have also picked up a cold and have been sneezing.Normally for persistent vertigo like this we advise Meclizine which is again available only on prescription. So you should get yourself physically examined before you start taking the medicine as none of the OTC drugs will help.Also, you should take levocetirizine 5 mg once daily at bed time for 3 days to reduce the cold and sneezing.Please get yourself examined to find the cause of vertigo. In severe cases, Valium is advised but that might make you too drowsy. So discuss the option with your PCP during the physical test.Feel free to discuss further,Regards.