Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > 1 centimeter supraspinatus full thickness tear responding well to pt

1 centimeter supraspinatus full thickness tear responding well to pt

Patient: 1 centimeter supraspinatus full thickness tear responding well to pt. with 75 % rom restored and little pain that only occurs when sleeping(dull pain)and when performing activity with arm raised close to ear like throwing

Doctor: HelloThank you for posting your query at ATD for an opinion.You have mentioned about the condition as well as th e MRI report but haven’t asked any question, my guess is that you want to know about the indication for surgery in this case.If the patient is a young person then surgery is must to regain full range of motion and relieve the patient of the morbidity associated with decreased range of motion.If the patient is old, then it depends upon the requirement of the patient, his/her level of activity, whether he/she can take care of their own independently or with assistance or completely dependent on the care giver even for the activities of daily living, compliance of the patient to the postoperative rehabilitation programme.Taking all these factors into consideration, a decision has to be made after counselling with the patient as 75% ROM is good enough for an elderly to perform routine daily activities.I hope your query is answered to your satisfaction. If you have any other questions or doubts, please write to us. Feel free to discuss further.Regards