Ask The Doctor interviewed 15 Board-Certified Physicians across the United States and Canada to get their recommendations on how people who choose to dine out can take extra precautions to stay safe, especially with the rising numbers in Covid-19 cases.
1. Call restaurant ahead of time and ask if every staff member has had their temperature taken and show no signs of being sick.
2. Make sure all employees are wearing masks 100% of the time.
3. Ask restaurant ahead of time if they have taken measures during Covid to improve ventilation in the restaurant.
4. Sanitize your hands upon sitting at table.
5. Make sure all tables are at least 6 feet apart at the minimum. The further the better.
6. Remove mask only when food arrives.
7. Decrease communication with server and put on your mask when server is at your table talking to you.
8. Only dine at restaurants that have contactless payment options.
9. Limit exposure by setting time limit of 1.5 hours dining time in restaurant.
10. Only dine out with people in your immediate circle and limit maximum number of people at table to 2.
Julia Smith is a registered nurse and healthcare writer based out of Arlington, VA. Educating patients on the latest in healthcare news is one of her passions when she is not busy practicing as a nurse.