Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > 14 year old drinks energy drinks and has elevated labs

14 year old drinks energy drinks and has elevated labs

Patient: My 14 year old son had a cbc done and it showed the rbc (5.45) hemoglobin (14.8) hematocrit (47.5) non-hdl chole (135) and chol/hdl (4.2) were all high and mpv (6.8) was low. his doctor doesn’t seem concearned but my question is obviously are those ok and mainly could energy drinks effect his blood work and do this

Symptoms: Elevated rbc, hemoglobin, and hematocrit

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor.These values are not exactly elevated. Yes they are on the higher side.Energy drink s are unlikely to raise hemoglobin but yes can affect cholestrol levels.Every report needs to be correlated clinically.So your doctor must have examined him after careful history and must have not find anything significant.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy.