15 pounds of unexplained weight loss in 2 months

Q: I'm a 31 year old male no medical history but I've lost 15 pounds in 2 months I'm 5 foot 11 180 pounds now I was 195 my CBC was normal my thyroid was normal and I had a stress and a heart echo that were normal but my blood differential for morphology was abnormal. I do get real full and feel short of breath and some heart PVCs after eating but no other symptoms what are the chances of me having some sort of cancer at my age I do not smoke or drink alcohol and there is no history of cancer in my immediate family

Symptoms:  Unexplained weight loss 15 pounds in 2 months, feeling real full and a little sob with some heart pvcs after eating

A:   Thank you for your question. This is indeed a drastic amount of weight to lose in a period of two months. We cannot make a diagnosis of cancer without further examination and diagnostic testing. Beyond blood testing, you may need to have a CT scan and MRI to elucidate if there are any malignant tumors present which are responsible for your symptoms. Furthermore, you may also be suffering from nutritional malabsorption diseases of the gastrointestinal system, which could also lead to this sudden weight loss. We are also concerned about your shortness of breath. This in fact may be the most immediate life threatening of your symptoms. For this reason, we encourage you to follow up with an in person visit with a cardiologist to evaluate your shortness of breath and also a general internal medicine specialist to determine the source of your weight loss. More diagnostic evaluations will be performed, along with physical examination to get to the source of your symptoms. We hope this happens soon and you are able to be treated accordingly.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com