Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > 16 year old female, unidentified vaginal mass

16 year old female, unidentified vaginal mass

Patient: I’m 16 years old and have never been sexually active. But I noticed about a year ago that I have a mass located in the vaginal area, according to a diagram I looked up it would be located around the labium minus, but deeper, I feel like its connected to a muscle or something. Its not painful, but is worrisome. The only thing I can think of that may be relevant is about a year and a half a go I was placed on depo provera, ive only had the shot twice.

Symptoms: None.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.From the description you have given, it looks like you have developed a Bartholin cyst, it is unrelated to the birth control.It generally does not cause any symptom, but if it gets inflamed or infected may cause a lot of pain and discomfort, which may warrant its excision under anesthesia. Kindly see a gynecologist to confirm the diagnosis and get it treated accordingly.Hope this helped.Regards