Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > 16 year old with back, neck and shoulder pain.

16 year old with back, neck and shoulder pain.

Patient: I’ve had upper back, shoulder and neck pain for about a year and a half now. (Maybe longer) The pain is constant but it is not the same as shooting pains, it’s kind of like the burning sensation you get after a workout.. Anyway, my spine has a mild curve just below the neck and is level with the shoulders, it curves on down aswell but not as much. I haven’t pulled a muscle or anything and i never really do PE. It seems alot like arthritis in my shoulder, it always cracks and sometimes i have to massage it to relieve it from the pain. My spine and neck always feels tender and all three give off alot of heat. Any ideas what might be going on? is it normal for a 16yo to experience this? its so bad that im constantly asking to go to the doctors but never have time.

Symptoms: Sensitive back, shoulder, gives off heat, feels swollen, shoulder cracks alot

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for your query.I have gone through your question in detail and understand your concern.The cause of yo ur symptoms may be many so you are advised to get your vitamin D3 and vitamin B12 levels to rule out vitamin deficiency. You can get thyroid function test (T 3,T4 and TSH) to rule out thyroid disease. You can get rheumatoid factor test to rule out rheumatoid arthritis. Till then you can take take analgesic such as ibuprofen for pain relief. Multivitamins, calcium and trace elements are helpful.Hope I have answered your query.Wishing you good health.Take care.