19 Year Old Painful Intercourse

Patient : My boyfriend have been dating for over a year. I'm a virgin, he's not. I'm 19 years old. We've tried to have intercourse countless times over a period of 6 months and still remain unsuccessful. The pain is so excruciating for me that he can't even get more than a half inch in before I'm in tears & he thinks that I just don't like him that much if I'm not willing. Its just unbearable how painful it is. Is this common? Am I just being a baby or could something really be wrong?
Symptoms:  Pain during and after. no visible bumps or std's.