1ST TRIMESTER OF PREGNANCY , WILL FEFOL affect my baby

Patient : I am about six weeks pregnant and have been taking FEFOL, last night while bored i decided to read on the leaflet and it was written that not safe to take during first trimester... i thought the iron and Folic acid is recommended. so is my baby safe........ am so worried So what do i switch to....is pregnacare safe to take? thank you
Symptoms:  NONE
Doctor :   Hi, Thanks for the query. I understand your concern. Fefol contains folic acid and iron in the form of ferrous s ulphate. Folic acid belongs to category A drugs in pregnancy whereas ferrous sulphate belongs to category B drugs, means animal studies have failed to demonstrate adverse effects on fetus whereas sufficient human studies are lacking. So, there may not be any major effects on the fetus. Usually, iron is not recommended in early pregnancy as it can aggravate the nausea and gastritis of early pregnancy. You can start iron supplements after 16 weeks. As pregnacare also contains iron, better to use folic acid supplements till 16th week with your doctor's advice. Along with this nutritious diet is advised. Take care.