2 days after motorcycle accident pain appeared in ankle, sha

Q: 2 days after motorcycle accident pain appeared in ankle, sharp shooting pain that's been gradually getting worse, pain disappears when walking but returns immediately when stood still or raised. Feels like the ankle is crushing itself. What could it be?

A:   Hi,

Welcome to Ask The Doctor. The pain which you have described could be a fracture. Don't put much stretch on your ankle. In this case, we suggest you to consult an Orthopedist.

If swelling appears on your ankle, you can use Ice but don't put it directly on the swelling area. Instead, you can use a thin piece of cloth such as a pillow case between the ice bag and the skin but not more than 20 minutes. It helps to reduce the swelling and it can relax your ankle. We wish you to get well soon.