2 days ago I cut my toe on a rotting

Patient

Q: 2 days ago I cut my toe on a rotting fish carcass while out camping, it was a small cut that drew a good ten or more drops of blood. But now my toe is inflamed, red and leaking a greenish pus. Is this something that can be taken care of at home? Or is this more serious?

Doctor

A:   Hi.

Read and understood the history of a cut by a rotten fish carcass and now a green pus.

Rotten carcass is an organic material full of bacteria, that have now got entry into the body causing green pus and inflammation of the toe.
This is one thing that needs to be treated by a Doctor as you may need incision and drainage of the cavity is close with just a small opening.
You need the prophylaxis against tetanus
you need a broad spectrum antibiotic and pus to be sent for gram staining, culture and sensitivity test before you get your first shot of an antibiotic.
You also need anti-inflammatory medicine.

Daily dressings are a must and this is to be taken seriously, nothing can be done at the home to start with.

Hope this helps.