Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > 2 days ago I went running, I pushed myself a lot

2 days ago I went running, I pushed myself a lot

Patient: 2 days ago I went running, I pushed myself a bit too hard and got a cramp on my right side under my lung. I couldnt move at all and had to stop. It was very painful (7/10 rating) and it would stop if I held my breath. I still have pain there and it won’t go away. Should I be worried?

Doctor: HiThank you for the question,Muscle cramps occur most often in the legs, arms and back. They happen due to muscle overuse or strain, injury or dehydration, or after a prolonged period of inactivity, such as sitting in the same position for too long.Here are a few home remedies:-Rub the tightened knots in your cramped muscles slowly and gently in the natural direction of the muscles. This relieves the contracted muscles by improving blood circulation in the affected area.- Take a hot shower or a warm bath. Let the hot water flow longer over the cramped areas.- Rub an ice pack over the cramped area for ten minutes or until it turns red, an indication that the blood cells are heating the muscles.- Dehydration is a common cause of muscle spasms. Drink plenty of water throughout the day to continuously replenish lost fluids.If you don’t feel better after 3 days, talk to your Doctor. I hope this will help you.I wish you a speedy recovery.