2 Herniated Discs in Lower Back

Patient : I have 2 herniated discs in my lower back. I have trouble walking and have been referred to a neurosurgeon for treatment. In my CT report, it stated that a fragment of one of the disc broke off. What are my treatment options for this condition? How dangerous is this condition?
Doctor :   Treatment options depend on the severity of the herniation and the disability it causes. The fact that there are bone fr agments in your spinal column may require surgery for removal and restoration of normal function and mobility. A lot of cases respond to nonsurgical treatment and most surgeons will give a trial of painkillers and steroids before considering surgery. Herniated disc can lead to chronic backpain, numbness in the thigh and leg pain.