Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > 2 weeks ago I injured my back, my doctor believes

2 weeks ago I injured my back, my doctor believes

Patient: 2 weeks ago I injured my back, my doctor believes it is sciatica due to the symptoms. Pain on one side that run’s down the buttocks, through the hip and thigh, into the leg that feels like pins but is also tender to the touch. I have a very physical job and I worked for two weeks in great pain with this. But now my ankle has become sowlen, is this due to the back injury?

2 weeks ago I injured my ba...-1

Doctor: HelloWelcome to Ask The Doctor.You seem to be suffering from Prolapsed Intervertebral Disc Compression that is L5- S1 Radiculopathy.I would advise you to get following:1. Serum Calcium and Vitamin D3 levels2. ESR, CRP, Rheumatoid factor.For pain i advise following:1. A combination of Pregabalin and Methylcobalamine2. To do hot fomentation of the affected area.3. To apply Diclofenac ointment locally.4. To get physiotherapy done particularly Ultrasonic heat massage.5. SSRI like Duloxetine helps in long term.But if the compression is very severe, causing motor weakness , tingling on any side of the body then surgical intervention would be required.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy