2 year old son with loose stool and vomiting

Patient

Q: My 2 year old son has been throwing up for the last three days he has also has really smelly diarrha and a running nose that is slightly green, he has no temp. he has been acting normal playing talking ect but i am starting to get a little worried that it is not a tummy bug becasue no one eles in the family has caught it

Doctor

A:   If your child is feeding well and does not have a fever, I do not feel a need to be concerned. Most cases of gastroenteritis are caused by a viral infection that tends to run its own course and no treatment is required other than hydrating your child. If you notice that your child is dehydrated, irritable, not feeding well and develops a fever, I would then suggest that you take her to a pediatrician.