20 y/o with Lower Back Pain

Patient: I recently went on a trip from the UK to NYC and upon my return got ill with what I believe to be a chest infection and common cold, I then noticed that the tip of one of my big toes has become completely numb, and within the past three days I’ve developed a pain in my lower back. There’s no ‘sharp’ pain, it’s more of a dull pulsating that makes my lower back feel almost like it’s cramping. The pain extends into the top of my buttock muscles and is starting to make my legs feel fuzzy. I’ve been self-medicating with paracetamol but I’m concerned about this not having subsided. What could this be?

Symptoms: Lower back pain, cramp, muscle pain, nerve pain, numbness, coughing, sneezing

Doctor: HiThanks for your queryI have gone through your query and understand your concern.There are two possibilities.1. Simple backache-It can be simple muscular pain due to overexertion of journey. Treatment of it is rest and analgesic such as ibuprofen for pain relief. Vitamin B and C help in recovery.2. Second possibility is disc prolapse as you have traveled, you have coughing , sneezing which contribute to it and you have pain going to leg and numbness (sciatica).Its treatment is rest in lateral position with both hips and knees flexed. Analgesic such as ibuprofen are taken for pain relief. Mecobalamine is useful to resolve numbness and nerve involvement. Rarely if not resolved by these methods then operative treatment ( discectomy) is used.Hope your query get answered.Wishing you a good health.Take care.

View all posts