20 yr old with long term knee pain

Patient

Q: I am 20 yrs old, and I have bothersome knee pain. I am a former ballet dancer. I danced for 12 years. I stopped dancing about 3-4 years ago. I never experienced a knee injury or knee pain while dancing. I work at chickfila (4 years) and my feet often hurt because of the floor and my 8 hr shifts. My knee pain in worsened while I'm at work and hurts at the back of my left knee on the side. It hurts the most when I stretch the back of my knee. Ex: leaning over to reach something across a table with my knee straight, standing for long periods without much moving around, also if I sit down with my leg in front of me and try to touch my toes with my knee straight. Basically anytime I stretch the back of my knee it hurts. When I have a few days off the pain gets somewhat better but does no go away, and comes back again when I work. Also sometimes the front of my knee, right on top of my knee cap to the right hurts as well. I guess it is the muscle that straightens the knee? And a few weeks ago I had pain in the back of my knee when I was standing on my right leg and pulled in my left knee towards my chest. (pain in left knee) I don't know what to do about this. I am only 20 and this concerns me.

Symptoms:  Pain in the back of my left knee on the right side, also pain on top of my left knee above my knee cap on the right side.
Doctor