21 yro female coughing up yellow mucus lost 10 pounds

Patient

Q: 21 yro female coughing up yellow mucus lost 10 pounds in a week difficulty sleeping loss of appetite

Doctor

A:   Hello
Thank you posting your query on “Ask the Doctor”

Repeated episodes of cold may lead to sinusitis and then turn in to post nasal discharge as yellow sputum.

You are spitting out yellowish sputum and that could be the indication of post nasal drip with possible infection, which has to be addressed promptly.

Loss of weight, reduced sleep could be a sign of tuberculosis or depression.

Please see your Doctor at earliest.
You may require investigations like X-ray chest, sputum examination.
Your Doctor may start drug sensitive antibiotics, anti allergics and painkillers.
You may also require decongestants, bronchodilators, inhalers and temporary steroids.
Steam inhalation may help in relieving discomfort in such conditions.

Wish you good health!