29 weeks pregnant and lost mucus plug

Patient

Q: I've lost my mucus plug at 29 weeks pregnant. Is this cause for concern?

Symptoms:  I am having a lot of pelvic pain also
Doctor

A:   Hi,
I understand your concern. Passing mucus plug per vanium with associated pelvic pain may indicate premature onset of labor pains.
The other possibilities are during pregnancy vaginal discharge increases which can present as mucus plug and tightening of uterus can also be seen with progression of pregnancy.
If the mucus plug is associated with blood and pain is gradually increasing, that may indicate premature labor.
In that case please do consult physician or visit ER.
After examination the exact cause of the symptoms can be made out and management can be planned accordingly.
Take care.