Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > 3 miscarriages and am worried about conceiving

3 miscarriages and am worried about conceiving

Patient: I have been trying to concieve for almost 3 years with 3 miscarriages.I was wondering if there is a possibility that I could be pregnant I have had back pain nausea bloating cramping and I’ve been extremely tired. I also noticed I’m having shortness of breath. I had unprotected sex on the days I was ovulating. But I know it might be too soon to test. I have been checking my cervix position as well and at the moment it’s high and soft like puckered lips or squishy I guess you could say. Thanks a head of time for answering my question.

Doctor: You seem to be doing quite well and the symptoms you have mentioned are indeed suggestive of a pregnancy. The best way to be sure is to do urine or blood tests based on detecting the human chorionic gonadotropin hormone secreted by the growing baby. These tests detect a pregnancy as early as 10 -12 days post ovulation but it is generally recommended that one wait till the day of the expected period before testing.Since you have had 3 miscarriages in the past it is also advisable that you contact your doctor immediately once you are pregnant. There are certain tests that need to be carried out in women with recurrent miscarriages. If any of these tests come positive than prompt treatment might help in preventing an untoward outcome. Wish you all the best. I hope all goes well and you complete your family soon.