Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > 33 male lower leg hair loss

33 male lower leg hair loss

Patient: I just noticed the back outside part of my lower legs are without hair but I feel stubble like it’s growing back. My right leg is even a little sensitive in that area. I’m in my early 30s, been taking Dilantin for quite a while. Other than that I think I’m alright health wise. Is this a possible circulation issue I should get checked out or am I overacting to socks?

Symptoms: Hair loss on outside lower leg and minor sensitivity on right leg in area.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Phenytoin (Dilantin) does have a rare side effect of causing hair loss but the localized na ture of this hair loss on your legs lead us to surmise that you may being caused by wearing socks. Tight socks can especially place pressure on the hair of the legs, leading to it falling prematurely. Try to avoid wearing too tight socks, and observe to see if the hair will regrow. Please be guided accordingly.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com