Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > 38th week pregenancy

38th week pregenancy

Patient: I am 27 year old at 38th week pregnancy. Iam 4.9 ft height and 68 kg weight presently. My doctor told me that the child’s head has not turned down and advised me go for ceasarean before july 4th. My EDD is on july 11th. Kindly advise whether i should weight for normal delivery or go for ceasarean.

Doctor: Short stature as well as breech i.e. upside down position of the baby are conditions that may prompt an obstetrician to suggest a Cesarean birth. Though vaginal birth is possible for the breech baby, many fetal and maternal factors influence the safety of vaginal breech delivery. The majority of breech babies born are delivered by Caesarean section especially if its the first delivery the woman is having. This is done because a breech delivery requires a special set of skills and in modern obstetrics not many obstetricians are confident of managing a complicated breech delivery.Regardless of the above the decision of the route of delivery depends on a lot of factors such as pelvic proportions, fetal condition, estimated fetal weight, gestational age, progress in labor etc. The list of indications of a Cesarean section is exhaustive and I would suggest that you discuss the pros and cons of either route of delivery before you arrive at a decision about the same. After a thorough discussion I am sure you will be able to take the right decision.