39 weeks pregnant

Patient : My girlfriend is 39 weeks pregnant and recently the baby has stopped moving but she still has a heart beat; is everything ok
Doctor :   Thank you for your question. The length of time at which the baby stopped moving will determine if this requires immedia te medical attention. If your girlfriend has gone more than 10-12 hours without feeling the baby moving, we recommend she see her obstetrician. Sometimes the baby is simply sleeping soundly, and can be awakened by movement such as vibration. Your obstetrician will have a device that they can use to arouse the child if this may be the case. Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com