3rd generation problems

Patient

Q: Grandfather was exposed to nuclear radiation before my mother was born. Could his exposure cause my infertility?

Symptoms:  Inability to get pregnant. Myself and my sibling.
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your query.
The reasons for infertility can be various. Genetic inheritance leading to infertility is also one among the many. Nuclear radiation has several effects on the human body & especially it has highly deleterious effects on the genetic material i.e. on the D.N.A & the chromosomes. But it would be difficult to pinpoint the exact reason for being infertile as it can also be due to accquired reasons during the lifetime after birth also or inutero or hereditary. It is advisable that couple approach a fertility specialist if they have been trying to conceive for over a year & are unable to achieve a pregnancy. Based on the results of the investigations suitable line of treatment can be suggested. Nowadays with advanced assisted reproductive technologies many couples can fulfill their dream of parenthood.
Hope that answers your query. Have a good day.