Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > 4 weeks ago i had a blackout for a minute

4 weeks ago i had a blackout for a minute

Patient: 4 weeks ago i had a blackout for a minute and after i was dizzy for about an hour. Sometimes my ears go echo and now the last 7 or 8 days ive been off balance and lightheaded? What could it be and should i go to emerg?

Symptoms: Dizzy, lightheaded

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.We are here to help you on this medical health advice platform.It seems you are having Ver tigo, that is the feeling of dizziness that you are having.Now, vertigo is of two types,1.Central2.Peripheral.Central vertigo is due to Neurological causes specially Posterior circulation stroke and is associated with diplopia, dysarthria, dysmetria. You need to get Carotid doppler as well as MRI brain in such case.Peripheral Vertigo is due to ENT causes like Labyrintis, Ear drum issues, Migraine.So, you should get an ENT Evaluation done.In general, Peripheral vertigo is very severe and Central one is not but is associated with speech difficulties, visual issues as discussed.You should also get your Blood Sugar and Blood pressure checked.For Peripheral Vertigo that is idiopathic, we prefer to use medicines like Cinnarizine.But if your doctor feels on your history and examination that your vertigo is central, you would require to get a MRI Brain and Color doppler of carotid vessels.Share my opinion with your doctor.I hope it helps. If you have any further query, please ask me.Stay Healthy.