40 weeks pregnant and feeling dizzy with hot flashes

Patient

Q: I'm 40 weeks pregnant, my feet and hands are swollen and my feet hurt and feel like there on fire. I get dizzy and I see white spots flashing. Should I be concerned?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your query.
Swelling or edema during pregnancy especially during full term is common. It could be because of increased blood volume, extra pressure on the blood vessels in legs, hands & pelvis and also because of water retention. Because there are a lot of hormonal changes taking place in the body during pregnancy it leads to an elevation in the body temperature which causes the swollen feet to have burning sensation. Sometimes it also can be due to pre-eclampsia (high blood pressure) during pregnancy. For simple problems the relief measures would be to keep the feet elevated. If you are standing for long avoid and take rest in between by taking a comfortable seating. If you are sitting in same position for long get up & do slow walking for some time. Reduce salt intake as salt can aggravate the problem. Go to a doctor & get blood pressure checked to be on the safe side. Having white spots in vision can be from simple to complicated reasons. Try moving your eyes up & down, from side to side, such that any pieces of vitreous in path can be drifted away from the path of vision, if the problem is resolved it is fine or else it is advised to consult an eye doctor.
Hope that answers your query. Have a good day.

Guest: hello , i am no docter ,but this is what i think of your promblem What you're experiencing is edema – that's when excess fluid collects in your tissue. It's normal to have a certain amount of swelling during pregnancy because you're retaining more water. Changes in your blood chemistry also cause some fluid to shift into your tissue.A certain amount of edema is normal in the ankles and feet during pregnancy. You may also have some mild swelling in your hands.
In addition, your growing uterus puts pressure on your pelvic veins and your vena cava (the large vein on the right side of the body that carries blood from your lower limbs back to the heart). The pressure slows the return of blood from your legs, causing it to pool, which forces fluid from your veins into the tissues of your feet and ankles.

here is a video explaning this example

http://bcove.me/swxlhjig