5 hour energy drink

Patient

Q: Is 5-hour energy drink a good product to enhance energy levels?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. 5 Hour energy drink contains about 200mg of caffeine which is equivalent to the caffeine in about 2 cups of coffee. This product also contains a blend of B-vitamins, amino acids and nutrients which are believed to enhance alertness. However, this has not been substantiated by medical research.

One of the benefits of this product is that it is sugar free, which makes it a low calorie option for delivering caffeine to your system. However, side effects of increased daily caffeine intake include, nervousness, jitteriness, insomnia, increased heart rate, and upset stomach. We recommend that you do not ingest more than 400mg of caffeine per day, which is equivalent to 2 5 hour energy drinks.

We at askthedoctor.com do no support any of the claims made by products that are not tested and approved by the US Food and Drug administration. You should use these products at your own risk and do not exceed its recommended safe daily intake.

We do recommend that a lifestyle that is balanced, with whole foods abundant in vegetables, daily exercise and quality sleep of at least 8 hours per day, has been proven to maintain energy levels without the need of any caffeine, or energy drinks. This method has many obvious physical, emotional, and long term health benefits as well. We would encourage you to employ elements of this method to your daily life.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com