5 months pregnant and constapated

Patient

Q: I am 5 Months pregnant and haven't had a bowl movement in over a week. What can I use that would be safe and effective?

Symptoms:  belly cramps, uncomfortable and feeling irritable, lower back ache
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Constipation is very common during pregnancy. We recommend that you increase your dietary fibre and fluid intake to help with your constipation. If you are still having trouble with constipation then a laxative such as stool softener (ducosate) can be used safely as a short term measure. However, laxatives are not recommended to be taken continuously due to increased risk of dehydration and electrolyte imbalances.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com