5weeks ago I was cleaning house I took a step

Patient

Q: 5weeks ago I was cleaning house I took a step felt a grinding in knee it buckled and I felt a pain down outer side of right knee along side of leg. Since then it continues to happen. I saw ortho doc had X-rays and exam he said he didn't feel need for MRI. I can bend, straighten no pain but when I walk it catches and grinds and I get same pain along side of leg at joint but more towards outer side back of leg. I am wearing a hinged knee brace all day knee catches even with brace on. I'm supposed to see doc again end of next week is there something more I should be asking? He told me to resume normal activity but when my knee catches and buckles I feel like I'm gonna fall and it hurts

Symptoms:  Popping grinding buckling on right knee
Doctor

A:   Hello
Thank you for posting your query on ATD.

I have gone through your query and understand your concern.I think you may be having early osteoarthritis as it is common in your age. Treatment of it is glucosamine and analgesic such as ibuprofen for pain relief. Quadriceps exercises are helpful in relieving symptoms. The second possibility is meniscus tear as it catches, you can ask your doctor about possible meniscus tear. A meniscus tear is diagnosed by clinical examination and MRI. Treatment of it is quadriceps exercises and analgesic. Sometimes arthroscopic excision is required. Hope your query get answered.

Wishing you a good health.
Take care.