6 yr old ear filling up with water after all day of swimming

Q: My 6 yr old step son had an all day treat to swimming with his father. Showing his dad how he can finally swim under water, that indeed is what he did all day. Now that he has swam under water all day, give him his dinner, bath and lay him down for bed as he proceeds to inform us that his left ear feels like "it's filling up with water every minute" his words. I asked if it hurt? His reply was that it didn't hurt until it would fill up with water. He also mentioned that when the water was full in his left ear it would make the noises around him (tv, fan etc) much more louder than normally. He said it doesnt itch and there is also no drainage so far. I'm just concerned that it could turn into an infection or something worse. I'm just not sure on what to do with this. Help pls.

Symptoms:  -water fills left ear up
-only hurts when water is filling up
-makes noises around him more louder
-no itch
-no drainage