8 month old child swallowed a deodorant

Patient

Q: My 8 month old son found a very small piece of deodorant on the floor and put it in his mouth i caught him as soon as he put it in his mouth however im nt sure if he could have swalloed a little what should i do?

Doctor

A:   Deodorants are not poisonous, but they will irritate the mouth and can cause diarrhea when large amounts are eaten. If your son develops abdominal pain, irritability, loose stools, lack of alertness, rash or vomiting seek immediate medical help. You could also call local poison control centers if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention.

Related Q&A

Q: I have a toddler that is very combative and agurementive. Everytime i we tell him to do something he stomps his feet ...

Q: My 2 year old granddaughter does not eat at mealtime. This has been going on for over 6 months. She eats at her day...

Q: My 14 month old granddaughter has a habit of sticking her tongue to the left of her mouth and I would like to know if...

Q: My 4 1/2 Daughter has been potty trained since she was 2 1/2 and now she has started to wet the bed?

Q: My daughter woke up in the middle of the night scratching herself and crying. I took her to my bed to calm her down ...

 
DOCTOR ADVISORY BOARD
218

Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician
173

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician
138

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist
98

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon
CNN
BBC
MSNBC
CBS
abcNews
FoxNews