Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > 83yr old male,6″185 lb,exercises reg,3times a wk fo

83yr old male,6″185 lb,exercises reg,3times a wk fo

Patient: 83yr old male,6″185 lb,exercises reg,3times a wk for 11/2 hr.Currently treated for hi bld pres with low dose adolipine,hypothyroidism w/ lo dose levothyroxine.Currently suffer from lethargy and persistent lower left back pain. I understand that both symptoms MAY be caused by kidney cancer. My question is: should I ask my Family doc for expensive tests like cat scan or MRI to relieve my anxiety over these symptoms? a 250 mg dose of naproxin plus a 650 mg dose of acetominacin provides pain relief for up to 24 hours

Symptoms: All described above, plus I have unrelated balance issues

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for writing in to us.You can ask your doctor to recommend you for a basic investigation like ultrasound scan to evaluate the abdomen organs like liver, kidneys, gall bladder, pancreas and spleen. This will pick any serious problems with above systems.If ultrasound scan is normal and symptoms persist then please request for lumbar spine MRI scan for any disc or vertebra conditions.Hope your query is answered.Please do write back if you have any doubts.Regards,