Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > A bad cut on the hand and now numb fingers

A bad cut on the hand and now numb fingers

Patient: I cut the webbing between my thumb and index finger with a knife fixing chicken for dinner. I knew it was bad because the blood was very dark. My fingers are now numb. I can see a vein which leads directly into my cut. I went to the hospital only saw a PA. He suggest 3 stitches or glue. I choose the clue. He didn’t clean my cut just wipe the blood off with water and started to glue which was hard to do because I was still bleeding. He also didn’t believe me when I told me my fingers were numb. He said the feeling will come back own it’s own. It’s been three days since I went to the hospital and the glue broke loose and I still can’t feel my fingers. Under my numb and my wrist is starting to hurt bad. I would like to know if the PA did everything right?

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that you could have injured a branch of the nerves supplying your fingers or you may have severed an artery which caused a reduction in the blood supply to your finger. Both of these injuries could possibly be causing this numb sensation. Although the treatment may have been adequate at the time for the presentation of your injury, it is clear that is has become worse. You may also be developing an infection of this wound which is a possible explanation of the wrist pain. We recommend that you visit your nearest urgent care clinic or emergency department to have your wound reevaluated by a doctor. You will likely need to have the would cleaned, sutured, and lastly started on a course of antibiotics to treat any possible infections.Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com for your medical question.