A family member was just told they have high PTH

Patient

Q: A family member was just told they have high PTH but normal calcium. Their kidney function (creatinine and BUN) are normal and a kidney sonogram revealed no stones or obstructions - just benign cysts (been there forever) and functioning that is "normal" for someone in their 80's.

My question is : they are on calcium supplementation for osteoporosis and they are developing calcium deposits in their hand joints (x Ray) and this new PTH elevation w/ normal calcium - Should they continue to take calcium supplementation or will this just add more calcium to their bloodstream?

Thank you.

Doctor