A few months ago my boyfriend and I had a condom break

Patient

Q: A few months ago my boyfriend and I had the condom break, so I took the plan b pill and my period came normally and everything was fine. Well a couple weeks ago it happened again so I went and they gave me the "option 2" pill. I have been having period-like cramps, but my period is now 5 days late. Just wondering if this is normal after taking emergency contraceptives?

Doctor

A:   Hi,

After taking an emergency contraceptive pill it may take around one week to ten days for the onset of withdrawal bleeding.
Abdominal cramps can be a side effect of the emergency contraceptive pill and may also be indicating premenstrual phase.
So, better to wait for one more week, possibly you may get periods by that time.
Better to avoid repeated intake of emergency contraceptive pills, as that can lead to complications like menstrual irregularities, hormonal imbalance etc.
Better to keep at least two months gap between two pills.

Take care.