A friend of mind passed away due to pulmonary embolism

Patient : A friend of mind passed away due to pulmonary embolism. A few years prior to his death he was diagnose with gout. Could he have been misdiagnosed, and the swelling in his leg was really from dvt and not guot, and can a person live years with dvt and not know it?
Symptoms:  None
Doctor :   Hi. Read and understood the tragedy your friend went in through. He died of pulmonary embolism and was diagnosed as gout. Patients of DVT live a long life if kept under proper treatment. Steeling from Gout and from DVT have different presentation. I hope these answer all your queries you asked for.