A heterosexual male has unprotected sex with a heterosexual

Patient

Q: A heterosexual male has unprotected sex with a heterosexual female, and is 95% sure, but not 100% that everything is OK. If either person wanted to be tested for the "usual" STD's, how long should they wait so that good reliable test results could be had please ?

Symptoms:  No symptoms...
Doctor

Welcome to ATD.
Thank you for the query.

There isn’t any one time frame where all STDs and HIV should up, therefore, there isn’t a simple answer to this question. If you have had unprotected sex and are worried about an STD or HIV, you should get tested 1 to 2 weeks after and again 90 days later. This is because different STDs are detected at different times:
Chlamydia - anytime from 1 week to 3 weeks
Gonorrhea - anytime from 2 days to 30
Syphilis - anytime from 10 days to 3 months
Herpes – anytime from 2 weeks to 3 months
Hepatitis B – anytime from 3 weeks to 2 months
Hepatitis C – anytime up to 6 months
HIV – anytime from 4 weeks to 3 months
Once you get tested, you should abstain from sex with anyone until you have received the results.

Regards.

Patient: Perfect, that''s everything I could have asked for. Thank you very much !! Have a nice day. Sincerely, james
Doctor: Wish you all the best!