A inexplicable intermittent feeling of tingling

Q: Ever since I was a child, I have been able to give myself this tingly/sharp feeling throughout my body at will. It starts from nothing then instantly I can feel it throughout my torso, arms, legs and the back of my neck. It is most powerful in my elbows, knees and prostate.

It typically lasts seconds, but I have complete control in starting it and I can make it last longer. Normally, it finishes when the feeling becomes too intense.

It is not painful or pleasurable.

I normally do it lying down and, consequently, when I'm going to sleep I'll remember that I can do it and I'll do it once or twice but for get about it the next day.

I have always been curious as to what it is, how common it is to be able to do it and what its name is.

I can only think it is something to do with the central nervous system.

Do you have any ideas?

Thank you

Symptoms:  A strange intermittent feeling of tingling throughout the body