A inexplicable intermittent feeling of tingling

Patient : Ever since I was a child, I have been able to give myself this tingly/sharp feeling throughout my body at will. It starts from nothing then instantly I can feel it throughout my torso, arms, legs and the back of my neck. It is most powerful in my elbows, knees and prostate. It typically lasts seconds, but I have complete control in starting it and I can make it last longer. Normally, it finishes when the feeling becomes too intense. It is not painful or pleasurable. I normally do it lying down and, consequently, when I'm going to sleep I'll remember that I can do it and I'll do it once or twice but for get about it the next day. I have always been curious as to what it is, how common it is to be able to do it and what its name is. I can only think it is something to do with the central nervous system. Do you have any ideas? Thank you
Symptoms:  A strange intermittent feeling of tingling throughout the body