A lady pregnant of 8 weeks did an abortion (12

Q: A lady pregnant of 8 weeks did an abortion (12 cyctotic pills). The result was alot of bleeding and pieces for one time then little amount drops for next 3 days. After 3 weeks she did pregnant test and still gave positive? is that a true sign ? most important no chance for scanning in hospital to check.

A:   Hello

The serum beta hcg which is a hormone of pregnancy will remain positive until 3 weeks. It will come down gradually. Hence the urine pregnancy test can be positive even after an abortion.

However, it can be positive even if there are retained products of conception after abortion or figure of abortion. Kindly follow up with beta hcg test and if it declines then it indicates an abortion.

If stagnant or increasing even after 2 weeks then intervention is needed. However to confirm whether an abortion is complete or incomplete an ultrasound is the test of choice and not a urine pregnancy test or blood test. Please see a gynecologist if she continues to bleed or has any signs of infection.

Hope this helps