Ask The Doctor > General Health > Is it normal to have a lump at the injection site?

Is it normal to have a lump at the injection site?

Patient: Hi, I have developed a lump under my skin at my buttocks area after receiving an antibiotic shot there. The lump seems very hard and is rather long..i just wanted to know why is this happening. Tqvm

Doctor: The lump that you feel is most probably inflammation at the injection site (if it was administered recently) or tissue scar after the injection. This a very common finding and you need not be worried. The only time I will advise you to visit your doctor is when the lump starts to grow and becomes painful to touch or if you develop a fever.