Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > A migraine episode that is getting complicated

A migraine episode that is getting complicated

Patient: I have had a migraine for a few days now and am getting a sore neck, dizziness and a bit of blurred vision. I have had this before, a bit more severe, but was admitted to hospital and had a lumber puncture spinal tap done and it found no cause. I alway get migraines but only sometimes they get this bad. Is there any medications I can take, what can i do, if it gets worse should I go back to hospital – I dont live in the same city anymore…

Doctor: Most likely you are experiencing an episode of Complex Migraine. A complex migraine is a type of headache, severe; ofte en disabling that besides the pain may include the following symptoms: weakness, blurry, double or loss of vision and even difficulty speaking, looking similar to a Stroke. The most common triggering causes are: stress, depression, certain medications or foods (MSG, chocolate, wine, and cheeses), hormonal disorders, lack of sleep, changes in the blood flow pattern of the brain. If the migraine is beginning can be treated with NSAIDs (“Aleve”,”Motrin”), there are also prescription medicines that may be used to treat the attacks and as preventive. Above all you can do the following to avoid Complex Migraines: try not to eat foods with MSG, cheeses (especially aged), wine and chocolate; try to have frequent breaks at work, eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, do not skip meals, get a good night sleep, drink enough water during the day so you keep hydrated, exercise regular and consistently.