Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > A positive and a negative pregnancy test.

A positive and a negative pregnancy test.

Patient: What do I do If I have a Postive home pregnancy test, but a negative urine test from the hospital?

Doctor: A negative result on urine test can mean that you are not pregnant or there could have been a technical or lab error. In my opinion you should go for a blood human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) hormone test, which is more reliable and accurate for the detection of pregnancy.A negative result on urine test can mean that you are not pregnant or there could have been a technical or lab error. In my opinion you should go for a blood human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) hormone test, which is more reliable and accurate for the detection of pregnancy.