Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > A pulse of 120 can not predict Pre-eclampsia

A pulse of 120 can not predict Pre-eclampsia

Patient: Hello I’m 4-6 weeks pregnant And I have a pulse of 120 bpm… Why would this be? And with my Previous pregnancy I had preeclamsia could this be atartin again so soon?

Doctor: A pulse of 120 is not uncommon and should not be the only factor when considering your health status.  An irregular puls se is more worrisome then a regular pulse and other symptoms associated with your pulse such as chest pain, shortness of breath, fainting, dizziness should urge you to see a doctor sooner.Preeclampsia does not present till much later in pregnancy and can not be predicted by your current pulse.I would continue to monitor things and see your doctor sooner if any other symptoms develop otherwise a regular follow up in 1-2 weeks should be sufficient.