A week ago I woke up with pain, swelling and

Q: A week ago I woke up with pain, swelling and minor itching in left breast. I could also feel a possible mass or thickness around the breast. After doing research I learned about inflammatory breast cancer. I clearly had many of the symptoms. In the days that followed the symptoms I had completely subsided including pain, swelling and itching. I do still feel a small lump. Is it possible that IBS can produce symptoms initially and then reverse over the course of a week? FYI-I am scheduled for testing. Also, I have BMI of 49, sedentary and am on medication for bipolar disorder. Lamictal, effexcor, gabapentin and seroquel. Thanks

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.

Noted the history related to Breast, IBS, Bipolar disorder and medicines thereupon.
- You are very true in saying that there is something called as Inflammatory breast cancer, but the commonest is inflammatory breast disorders, which are not cancerous.
- It is always a good practice to be suspicious of the disease of such importance. and it is also good that your appointment has been set .
Get mammography, ultrasonography of the breasts done.
If the lump is present, please insist on FNAC and biopsy to confirm and to rule out certain disorders.

Hope this helps.