Abnormal menstruation

Q: What is going on?! I had my normal period June 16-20. On June 23, I started cramping again. After three days of cramping I started bleeding again with severe cramping and nausea. Went to ER, pregnancy test was negative. I had a UTI. I was given Zofran, tylenol 3, IBU, antibiotics and sent home. I stopped bleeding on the 1st of July. I started again yesterday, July 13th, with dark brown/light pink spotting. Today I am experiencing extremely heavy bleeding with many small clots. I am going through pads about every hour and a half. I am not on birth control, and have not had any issues since I stopped taking birth control 4 years ago. I have always been very regular. What do I need to do?

Symptoms:  Nausea, severe cramping, ABD and pelvic pain, fatigue.

A:   Thank you for your question. We recommend that you return to your doctor or ER to determine the cause of your bleeding. The fact that you have been changing pads every hour and a half is of concern to us that you are losing too much blood. Without a physical examination and testing we will only be able to offer you some possibilities as to what is happening.
You are possibly experiencing Menorrhagia (heavy or increased menstrual bleeding). Causes of menorrhagia could be due to hormonal imbalances in which the lining of the uterus, the endometrium, becomes thickened, and when it is sloughed off, it precipitates heavy menstrual bleeding. Another possible cause could be due to dysfunction of the ovaries such as in premature ovarian failure or polycystic ovarian syndrome. Last but not least, uterine fibroids which are benign growths of tissues within in uterus may produce a menstrual bleeding heavier than normal. For further evaluation please see your doctor.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com