Ask The Doctor > Pending > Abnormal pap results, but no colposcopy or biopsy has been performed. Should I be asking for one?

Abnormal pap results, but no colposcopy or biopsy has been performed. Should I be asking for one?

Patient: I’m a 25 year old female with a history of endometriosis who is not sexually active. Thus far, I’ve had four pap smears done (one each year since I turned 21), and 2 of them have come back abnormal but negative for HPV. After the most recent one came back positive, I expressed concern to my doctor. Her initial recommendation was simply to have the test repeated in a year; however, she told me that I could have a biopsy performed or have the test repeated in six months if I preferred. What would you recommend?

Doctor: