Abnormal platelet count

Patient

Q: I recently had blood work done as part of a routine check up. All of my results were normal , with the exception of my platelets being high. My platelets were 387,000 and labcorps cut off is 370,000. The doctor said that was totally fine, but I'm concerned about them being higher than what's considered normal. My question is should I be concerned and push for further investigation, or is 387,000 not high enough to be of concern? Also at what count are you at risk for blood clot issues?

Symptoms:  No symptoms
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Your platelet count should not be of any concern. It is not dramatically higher than the normal range. Diagnostic testing caries a margin of error which doctors are aware of, and based on their clinical expertise and your presenting symptoms, we can determine of an abnormal lab value is a concern. Since all your blood work was otherwise normal, you need not worry.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com

Guest: I am a Lab Tech for a mid sized hospital. Our normal range for platelets is 130,000-400,000. Hope that helps with your concerns! According to our scale you are in normal range.